Blog Post 13
1. How I would describe the “American Dream”
The American Dream in my opinion is having a normal job that pays very comfortably. The American Dream is stepping out of Church on a Sunday afternoon, putting on my Ray Bands, and climbing into my new and freshly waxed Porsche with my babe wife (look at that irony with how coming out of church I should be more giving towards other people rather than flexing my wealth, but hey that's my dream right now). As a whole, the American Dream is an idea that reflects the wants of people inside of a time period. It is what the biggest trends are, the slang, what people do or what sports people follow. I believe that it is what everyone imagines success to both look and feel like. Back in the 1920's, Fitzgerald told it to look like parties and getting drunk every night, following the motto of living in the heat of the moment(YOLO).
2. What my definition of wealth is
My definition of wealth is not only in terms of money but being filled in all aspects of life. For example, sometimes I feel like I have the best friends in the world and other times I feel like they can suck. When I fit in perfectly with them, I am content and happy. That is one definition of wealth for me. Another, obviously, is being able to live comfortably. That has always been one of my biggest dreams because I have never held a lifestyle where I can indulge a lot. Wealth is what we as people need in every day life, whether it being awesome friends, a new shipment of delicious coffee, being filled with a respective religion, or even having the money to buy super nice clothing. This last definition of wealth is primarily what Gatsby relied on throughout the book. He used his wealth to find love with Daisy and to make him be enough for her. He would throw those parties to be able to show off his money to her and to be able to talk with Daisy. He did not feel complete without her because while he had the money, he didn't have the girl. He was not satisfied with what he had because his whole driving force of his life up until then was to marry Daisy and be with her forever.
3. What Americans’ attitudes toward wealth and poverty are
Americans' attitudes towards wealth and poverty is that theoretically, everyone wants to be wealthy and be able to give to the poor. However, put in practice, those who are wealthy do not actually want to help those in poverty. That is why there is a clear distinction between classes. There is always the goal that to be successful and wealthy, you need to work at your career really really hard and long. When you reach a certain goal that you hoped to be, you want even more until your past goal looks like a joke to your new goals. When money takes over someone's life, they can never have enough of it. This restricts the rich people from helping out the poor. They see them in a different view thinking that if they really did not want to be poor, then those in poverty would work their a** off just like the rich did so that they too could become rich. This same attitude has been present since the 1920's. People felt the need to gain money in any means they could and then keep on going. They would not want to help those in poverty because they are seen as the people who nobody wants in society.
4. What my attitude toward wealth and poverty is
My attitude toward wealth and poverty is more of scared at being unsuccessful later in life. I want to be able to make a lot of money but at the same time I do not want money and my job to control of life. Being Catholic, I want to know that I am making a difference to the poor by donating things but at the same time I do not want to have to suffer for helping the poor by giving away everything that I have. I wish that everyone was given an equal opportunity to accumulate wealth. Everyone starts on the same playing field with no advantages including being smarter than others, or having more money or connections. If everyone were given an equal playing field, while it would be the most equal and ideal, it will never happen.
The American Dream in my opinion is having a normal job that pays very comfortably. The American Dream is stepping out of Church on a Sunday afternoon, putting on my Ray Bands, and climbing into my new and freshly waxed Porsche with my babe wife (look at that irony with how coming out of church I should be more giving towards other people rather than flexing my wealth, but hey that's my dream right now). As a whole, the American Dream is an idea that reflects the wants of people inside of a time period. It is what the biggest trends are, the slang, what people do or what sports people follow. I believe that it is what everyone imagines success to both look and feel like. Back in the 1920's, Fitzgerald told it to look like parties and getting drunk every night, following the motto of living in the heat of the moment(YOLO).
2. What my definition of wealth is
My definition of wealth is not only in terms of money but being filled in all aspects of life. For example, sometimes I feel like I have the best friends in the world and other times I feel like they can suck. When I fit in perfectly with them, I am content and happy. That is one definition of wealth for me. Another, obviously, is being able to live comfortably. That has always been one of my biggest dreams because I have never held a lifestyle where I can indulge a lot. Wealth is what we as people need in every day life, whether it being awesome friends, a new shipment of delicious coffee, being filled with a respective religion, or even having the money to buy super nice clothing. This last definition of wealth is primarily what Gatsby relied on throughout the book. He used his wealth to find love with Daisy and to make him be enough for her. He would throw those parties to be able to show off his money to her and to be able to talk with Daisy. He did not feel complete without her because while he had the money, he didn't have the girl. He was not satisfied with what he had because his whole driving force of his life up until then was to marry Daisy and be with her forever.
3. What Americans’ attitudes toward wealth and poverty are
Americans' attitudes towards wealth and poverty is that theoretically, everyone wants to be wealthy and be able to give to the poor. However, put in practice, those who are wealthy do not actually want to help those in poverty. That is why there is a clear distinction between classes. There is always the goal that to be successful and wealthy, you need to work at your career really really hard and long. When you reach a certain goal that you hoped to be, you want even more until your past goal looks like a joke to your new goals. When money takes over someone's life, they can never have enough of it. This restricts the rich people from helping out the poor. They see them in a different view thinking that if they really did not want to be poor, then those in poverty would work their a** off just like the rich did so that they too could become rich. This same attitude has been present since the 1920's. People felt the need to gain money in any means they could and then keep on going. They would not want to help those in poverty because they are seen as the people who nobody wants in society.
4. What my attitude toward wealth and poverty is
My attitude toward wealth and poverty is more of scared at being unsuccessful later in life. I want to be able to make a lot of money but at the same time I do not want money and my job to control of life. Being Catholic, I want to know that I am making a difference to the poor by donating things but at the same time I do not want to have to suffer for helping the poor by giving away everything that I have. I wish that everyone was given an equal opportunity to accumulate wealth. Everyone starts on the same playing field with no advantages including being smarter than others, or having more money or connections. If everyone were given an equal playing field, while it would be the most equal and ideal, it will never happen.
Comments
Post a Comment